Munich native masters fourth language

By Shelby Stewart Staff Writer Brandon Twp. -For many American students, Spanish is the only second language they learn in school. But for German foreign exchange student Anja Knoepfle, this is her only chance to learn it in school. Knoepfle came to the United States in August and is now a student at Brandon High […]

Eagle Scout

By David Fleet Editor Goodrich-Thanks to an area scout, the community is a little cleaner and more welcoming to outdoor activities. High school senior Joseph Spress, 17, received his Eagle Scout rank on Oct. 19 at Goodrich United Methodist Church after completing a final project of a bicycle rack at the Village Commons. Spress, who […]

Italian connection

By David Fleet Editor Goodrich-Margherita Mazza knows the perfect recipe for pizza; Thin crust, light sauce, some fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. “Food is an important part of our country,” said Mazza, 17, a native of Pagnacco a town of about 4,000 near the city of Udine in the northeast corner of Italy. “It’s […]

Teen vaping sparking concern locally

By Shelby Stewart Staff Writer Brandon Twp.- Hunter’s first vape hit was in the eighth grade. “I started to vape because it looked cool—all the tricks you can do with the vapor and it sounded healthier,” said Hunter, a township resident and Brandon High School graduate. Hunter’s suggests that young people are trading cigarettes and […]

‘Back in the saddle,’scout project gets a leg up

By David Fleet Editor Horses can sometimes be intimidating—especially if you’re a first time rider with a disability or special need the challenge of getting in the saddle is often daunting. Noah Hansz recognized a need to help and get a leg up. Hansz, 16, a Hadley Township resident and a Life Scout from Grand […]

MABAS facility opens in township

By David Fleet Editor Groveland Twp.- On Monday morning the Mobilization Center for Michigan Task Force 1, 7337 Grange Hall Road was officially dedicated—providing a home to supplies and equipment used in the event of a major catastrophe. The Michigan Mutual Aid Box Alarm System or MABAS storage warehouse is a 17,000 square feet facility relocated […]



GHS Senior Savannah Leist sells a T-shirt to classmate GHS Junior Ally Monan before the Oct. 17, Goodrich vs. Lake Fenton Volleyball games. Funds from the sale go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Photo by Patrick McAbee. By David Fleet Editor Goodrich- A semicolon; indicates an audible pause—slightly longer than a comma’s, but […]

What a difference a year makes

What a difference a year makes

Goodrich Varsity Football Coach Tom Alward chats with Martian Senior Sebastain Fogilo along with teammates. Photo by Patrick McAbee. By David Fleet Editor Goodrich- It was a first for Martian Football Coach Tom Alward. “After 25 years of coaching football I’ve never had a season like 2016,” said Alward. “Done that, don’t need to do […]

Goodrich grad survives Hurricane Irma in Caribbean

Goodrich grad survives Hurricane Irma in Caribbean

By David Fleet Editor It’s been about a month since Hurricane Irma first hit the Caribbean. According to news reports at least 37 people were killed there by the storm—including one person from the small village of Cruz Bay located on the eastern shore of St. John. “It’s a war zone,” said Jennifer Montgomery, a […]

Sunshine, youth spark Crop Walk 2017

By Shelby Stewart Staff Writer On Oct. 1, the annual Ortonville CROP Walk kicked off starting at the Ortonville United Methodist Church, 93 Church St. Ortonville. This year 49 walkers participated raising about $3,300. Of the funds raised 25 percent were donated to the Ortonville Community Emergency Fund food pantry, while the other 75 percent […]

1 7 8 9 10 11 16