Rocking and Raking ready to roll

By Susan Bromley
Staff Writer
Brandon Twp.- Rocking and raking is back on.
“Teens and Seniors Rocking and Raking,” will take place from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Saturday, April 30.
Clerk Candee Allen put out a plea to save the 1-day event in which volunteers do various yard work chores for senior citizens and disabled adults and her call was answered. A committee has been formed consisting of Allen, as well as Colleen Collins, Sharon Gibbons, Nate Odinga, Jayson Rumball and Kim Zrnec, that will organize sponsors, volunteers, and compile a list of individuals in the community that need help.
“I was over the top with excitement,” said Allen, delighted with the response. “Everyone who said they were going to get involved is already working toward getting this done.”
“This means any able-bodied adults, middle school age youth, high school age youth and college students will be able to give back to their neighbors in need,” said Zrnec. “Many hands make light work.”
The work to be performed include cleaning of flowerbeds, raking of leaves and/or gravel, removal of twigs and branches, moving and/or cleaning of patio furniture, as well as outdoor washing of main floor windows.
Senior citizens ages 62 years and older and disabled adults of any age are encouraged to let the committee know if they are in need of assistance with these chores. There is no cost to the homeowners and a luncheon is provided to volunteers.
Last year, volunteers worked at 62 homes, assisting 85 seniors and disabled citizens in Brandon and Groveland townships.
Sponsors to assist with supplies including Windex, paper towels, lawn bags, trash bags, paper goods, etc. are still needed.
Volunteer registration forms are available at Brandon Township offices, 395 Mill St.; Groveland Township offices, 4695 Grange Hall Road; Edna Burton Senior Center, 345 Ball St.; or by e-mailing
Seniors who need help can request work registration forms at all the above locations, or by e-mailing
All registration forms, whether for volunteer or work request, must be turned in by April 15.
For more information, call 248-627-3965, ext. 132.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.